- K&N's Kofta - 8 Koftas
- Basmati rice - 14 ounces (400 grams)
- Potato - 1; sliced and deep fried like fries
- Yogurt - 1 cup
- Onions - 1 cup; finely chopped
- Fried onions - 1 cup; sliced and deep fried to golden brown color (Note: 3 tbsp fried onions to be crushed into the marinade)
- Turmeric - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 2 tsp
- Garam Masala - 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon - 6 - 8 pieces
- Whole black pepper - 6 - 8
- Cloves - 4 - 6
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Ginger-garlic paste - 1 tbsp
- Tomatoes - 2; sliced
- Salt - to taste
- Fresh mint - 2 tbsp; chopped
- Fresh coriander - 2 tbsp; chopped
- Fresh curry leaves - 1 tbsp; chopped
- Tomatoes - 2, julienned
- Lemon - 1; sliced
For Rice Preparation:
Rice can be cooked in rice cooker. If cooked outside, the rice should be slightly undercooked.
Divide the cooked rice into three equal portions. Add a pinch of red bush food color/tandoori color to one rice portion.
Mix a pinch of yellow food color in 2 tbsp of milk and add this to the second rice portion. Leave the third rice portion plain.
For Kofta Masala and Rice Cooking:
Heat oil in a pan; add K&N's Koftas for five minutes or until fully cooked. Remove from pan.
In the same pan, add whole Garam Masala (cloves, cinnamon and whole black pepper) and cumin seeds in it.
When the cumin seeds are roasted, add finely chopped onions and fry them for some time.
Add ginger-garlic paste, sliced lemon and sliced tomatoes.
Add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well.
Cook for few minutes, add yoghurt and Koftas and cook for another 10 minutes.
Take a heavy bottom pot with a lid. Grease the bottom with oil. Put a layer of all colored cooked rice, then a layer of Kofta to make two layers of all colored cooked rice and Kofta.
Add in fried potatoes and fried onions, chopped fresh mint, coriander and julienned tomatoes, and cook the Biryani tightly covered for 15 - 20 minutes over a very low heat.
Serve with yogurt raita.